Narrowing the Gap For Blind and Low Vision Students in Maryland Teacher Preparation Program
The National Federation of the Blind would like to communicate with you an opportunity to join the Narrowing the Gap For Blind and Low Vision Students in Maryland Teacher Preparation Program. Two slots have become available to join this cohort. This program is for educators seeking to become TVIs in Maryland. This program includes 100% tuition paid to complete the program as well as a community of practice. All classes are virtual, except for a REQUIRED in-person component for a week in June of 2023 in Louisiana (this will be financially covered). Coursework for these two lucky applicants would begin in the fall of 2022, the first week of September.
To be considered for the program you must:
- Have a current teaching license
- Agree to work in Maryland for at least 3 years post-graduation. This includes agreeing to work full-time as a TVI beginning in the fall of 2023. In most instances, you can start your internship during your employment.
Due to this limited opportunity, deadlines have a quick turnaround for two lucky applicants. They include:
- You must fill out the Maryland application by June 30 (applications will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis). Check out the page with other requirements.
- Your acceptance is contingent upon your acceptance into Louisiana Tech. You must fill out the Louisiana Tech application by June 30.
NOTE: You do NOT need to take the GRE
Your course progression would be as follows:
- EDCI 436/Braille I (UEB)
- EDCI 466/Adapted Technology for the Visually Impaired
- EDCI 578/Braille II
- EDCI 499/Instructional Strategies and Materials for Teaching Blind Students
- EDCI 579/Developmental Aspects of Blindness, Assessment and Evaluation
- EDCI 584/Orientation & Mobility for Teachers of Blind — You MUST attend a week in JUNE at Louisiana Tech University (Third Week in June 2023)
- EDCI 582/Educational and Functional Implications of Low Vision and Blindness
NOTE: EDUC 530C/Internship in Education can be taken in the fall, winter, or spring quarters. It CANNOT be taken in the summer quarter.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Karen Anderson, Education Programs Coordinator; firstname.lastname@example.org; (410) 659-9314 extension 2243
Contact the Free Bridges Helpdesk
Follow the Bridges Helpdesk Facebook page for more transition tips, and please contact the Free Helpdesk for Maryland Blind/Low Vision Transition Students, Families, and Educators anytime using:
- Our Accessible web form
- Email: Helpdesk@imagemd.org
- Text: Send to: (410) 305-9199
- Bridges Helpdesk Facebook page or Facebook Messenger
- Voice mail: Call (443) 320-4003, leave a voice mail message, and we will return your call
This unique project is being coordinated through The IMAGE Center of Maryland, a center for independent living in Towson, and it is funded by a grant from the Maryland Department of Education Division of Special Education/Early Intervention Services.