Have you ever noticed just how many national and international celebratory days there are on the calendar? Join the Bridges Helpdesk this month to delight in some of our favorite themed days with us! Topics include:
- March 1: International Zero Discrimination Day #ZeroDiscriminationDay
- March 8: National Proofreading Day #NationalProofreadingDay
- March 15: World Social Work Day #WSWD
- March 22: National Goof Off Day #NationalGoofOffDay
- March 29: National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day #MomAndPopBusinessOwnersDay
Today, we share great advice and insights from two blind social workers in our area. These talented professionals share their favorite aspects of their social work careers. They also discuss blindness-specific challenges they have faced and overcome. They then give their advice about a social work career, and we share information about how to contact the Free Bridges Helpdesk.
Laura Havard is a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), and she has more than thirty years of experience in the social work field. Her career has primarily concentrated on providing information and support to patients in healthcare settings.
- Watch Laura Havard’s interview with Bridges Helpdesk Coordinator Hindley Williams
- Transcript of Interview with blind social worker Laura Havard for World Social Work Day #WSWD
Shawn Callaway is a Licensed Graduate Social Worker (LGSW) who works in Washington. D.C. Shawn enjoys working as a head case manager for clients who are blind/have low vision, and he also serves as a regional and national leader as president of the National Federation of the Blind of the District of Columbia and as a member of the Board of the National Federation of the Blind.
- Watch Shawn Callaway’s interview with Bridges Helpdesk Coordinator Hindley Williams
- Transcript of Interview with blind social worker Shawn Callaway for World Social Work Day #WSWD
Follow the Bridges Helpdesk Facebook page for more transition tips, and please contact the Free Helpdesk for Maryland Blind/Low Vision Transition Students, Families, and Educators anytime using:
- Our Accessible web form
- Email: Helpdesk@imagemd.org
- Text: Send to: (410) 305-9199
- Bridges Helpdesk Facebook page or Facebook Messenger
- Voice mail: Call (443) 320-4003, leave a voice mail message, and we will return your call
This unique project is being coordinated through The IMAGE Center of Maryland, a center for independent living in Towson, and it is funded by a grant from the Maryland Department of Education Division of Special Education/Early Intervention Services.