About Voice Dream Reader
Voice Dream Reader is a versatile, navigable, and intuitive tool. New users may download Voice Dream Reader for free, but using requires a subscription (the first seven days are free). According to the Voice Dream team, existing users (who purchased the app in the past) should be able to continue to use it.
Files that Voice Dream Reader can read
You can read multiple file types, including EPUB (that are DRM Free), DAISY Audio, DAISY Text, Plain Text, HTML, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft PowerPoint. Additionally, Voice Dream Reader can scan many PDF files, even some that other readers might struggle with. If there is a PDF you want to read, you can check if Voice Dream Reader can do it by simply sharing the file to the app, and opening it. If Voice Dream Reader it gives you the option, you can proceed with the scan and read the PDF.
Loading files into Voice Dream Reader
Sometimes it can be frustrating to make sure the file you want is in a place that your reading app can access, including Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drive, iOS File Browser, Bookshare, Pocket, Instapaper, Evernote, Gutenberg, and any website. You can also use Voice Dream Reader to access local files on your device.
Other Voice Dream Reader Features
Control of reading modes
- Sleep timer
- Word-by-word and sentence-by-sentence reading
- Speed reading
- Change voice (many choices are available)
- Change speed
- Change pitch
- Pause duration
- Customize the pronunciation dictionary
- Skip margin text and citations
- Organize documents and books in folders
- Create reading list
- Set bookmark
- Highlight text and add notes
- Export notes
- Change font and font size
- Change font colors
- Change line and character spacing
- Change margins
Additional Voice Dream Reader Capabilities
- Safari Extension: Save online articles and files directly from Safari
- iCloud: Synchronize and backup your documents across all your devices
- Free companion Apple Watch app can play your reading list offline while not connected to iPhone
Other Voice Dream Products
- Voice Dream Scanner: Allows the user to scan documents or books using your phone’s camera and perform optical character recognition (OCR) on the scanned PDF files.
Using Voice Dream Reader
What can Voice Dream Reader read?
Almost anything, as it turns out, as long as you can get your hands on it in the first place. From a shared Google Drive folder to an online news article to anything from your Bookshare account, you should be able to access virtually any reading.
Navigating with Voice Dream Reader
Voice Dream Reader allows you to navigate files systematically and customize how quickly and with which voice the information is read to you. Voice Dream Reader also allows the user to keep track of the file based on where it came from or when you downloaded it, and you can rename the file to something that makes more sense to you.
Items of note when using Voice Dream Reader
Of course, no tool is perfect. For example, when reading a data table, this app will just represent the data as a block of text. If you need more, it may be best to organize that data elsewhere.
Free Bridges Helpdesk At Your Service
Either way, Voice Dream Reader tends to work well in the majority of circumstances. Please contact the Free Bridges Helpdesk for any assistance you may need with Voice Dream Reader, such as how to best use it, or whether it’s a good fit for you, or what other apps might be best to supplement it.
Purchasing Voice Dream Reader
- Available from the Apple App Store for the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch
- Android version called Legere Reader and available from the Google Play Store
Contact the Bridges Helpdesk for More Information
- Our Accessible web form
- Email: Helpdesk@imagemd.org
- Text: Send to: (410) 357-1546
- Voice mail: Call (410) 357-1546, leave a voice mail message, and we will return your call
This unique project is being coordinated through The IMAGE Center of Maryland, a center for independent living in Towson, and it is funded by a grant from the Maryland Department of Education Division of Special Education/Early Intervention Services.
Updated as of September 4, 2023.