Updated as of January 28, 2024.
Why It Matters
Gone are the days when we were limited to a few pizza places that delivered via phone call. Gone also are the days when a person must have a car to get their favorite food to eat at home.
Perhaps no one wants to drive to pick up the food. Perhaps you are bored of the same options at the school dining hall. Perhaps you want to have a few friends over and enjoy some good cuisine.
Whatever the case may be, food delivery apps and websites have emerged over the last few years, and they allow you to get food from restaurants nearby without worrying about traveling. Knowing about food delivery apps and websites empowers you to utilize accessible tools to place orders and have them delivered right to your door!
Examples of Food Delivery Apps and Websites
There are three main food delivery companies that you can either use via an app on your smartphone or via the company’s website:
In addition, many restaurants now have their own websites on which you may place food orders. Often placing your order through the restaurant’s specific app or website can help cut down on cost.
Tips on Using Food Delivery Apps and Websites
- Be aware that ordering food costs money. Not only do customers have to pay for their meals, but they also have to pay delivery and service fees as well as tip the driver. Be sure to double-check your total before placing your order and stay on budget!
- Whether you plan to meet the driver outside or would prefer that they leave your food at the door for you to get at your convenience, most delivery apps offer a notes section in which you can enter delivery instructions if you have something specific you would like to communicate to the delivery driver.
- Most delivery apps and websites offer pickup options in addition to delivery options. If you are taking a ride home from somewhere, you could always place a pickup order and grab it on your way to where you are going, or take a walk to get your order if the restaurant is close by.
- From time to time, our staff has noticed that small parts of delivery apps can become inaccessible, just like any other app as it goes through updates. We have noticed that occasionally the Uber Eats change address feature is not accessible, and there was a time when the Grubhub option to add an item to the cart was not accessible. These accessibility glitches are usually fixed in the next app update release. Even so, if you experience any accessibility issues with any product, we encourage you to submit your concerns to the company and advocate. If you need support to do so, feel free to contact the Bridges Helpdesk and we will be happy to assist you.
Contact the Bridges Helpdesk for More Information
- Our Accessible web form
- Email: Helpdesk@imagemd.org
- Text: Send to: (410) 357-1546
- Voice mail: Call (410) 357-1546, leave a voice mail message, and we will return your call
This unique project is being coordinated through The IMAGE Center of Maryland, a center for independent living in Towson, and it is funded by a grant from the Maryland Department of Education Division of Special Education/Early Intervention Services.