What is OCR?
OCR stands for optical character recognition. OCR is a process by which a computer analyzes pictures and converts pictures of text (letters, numbers, etc.) into readable and editable text.Top 5 OCR options
- Built into JAWS screen reading software
- Can convert pictures of text into accessible information
- Works with on-screen images, including websites, screen shares, inaccessible PDFs, images in documents and slideshows, etc.
- Upload file, choose preferred output, submit and include email, and results will be emailed to you
- Can submit via SmartPhone or computer
- Only available for iOS
- Please learn more from our Bridges Resources Library Seeing AI entry
- $9.99 for iOS, $4.99 for Android
- Please learn more from our Bridges Resources Library Voice Dream Scanner entry
- $1,392 – eligible for purchase using Federal Quota
- OCR feature provides voice output only; headphone jack available
- Negative: information is only available visually and auditorily – cannot read the converted information in braille
- Can export directly to a Microsoft Word file
Honorable mention: Be My AI
- Beta version is out now
- Not immediately available, but can get on the waitlist
Contact the Bridges Helpdesk for More Information
- Our Accessible web form
- Email: Helpdesk@imagemd.org
- Text: Send to: (410) 357-1546
- Voice mail: Call (410) 357-1546, leave a voice mail message, and we will return your call
This unique project is being coordinated through The IMAGE Center of Maryland, a center for independent living in Towson, and it is funded by a grant from the Maryland Department of Education Division of Special Education/Early Intervention Services.
Updated as of September 28, 2023.